June 20, 2008

David Letterman:The Experience!

Six months ago Paul and I were deciding what we wanted to do while we were in New York on our vacation, aside from seeing our friends get married in Connecticut. We like to do Top Ten lists..they work well for us. We are the type of travelers who like to have an idea of what we really want to see, that leaves room to see things you might otherwise have over looked cause you were to busy trying to fit it all in.

We both wanted to see a show, David Letterman was on the top of our list. I went online back in January, we didn't even have our tickets booked but had an idea when we would be there. I filled out the online application form, and thought okay anytime now we should hear something. If you got a call you would also have to answer a trivia question about the show, Paul said "watch them ask me what the name of the Deli Rupert works at." I also applied for tickets to the Daily Show, and the View, I like watching the debate part of the View and then when they all gang up on the little blonde overly conservative one..I know that's mean, but you know you watch it for those reasons too!!!

Anyway, while we were on the plane to New York I was thinking how we could always apply for last minutes tickets to Letterman since we hadn't heard anything. I was daydreaming about getting a call for the show, Paul answering the trivia question, and sitting the Ed Sullivan Theatre.

Finally we land, and make our way to Brooklyn where we were staying with an old Friend of Paul's, who's sister lives there, and offered us a free place to stay. We went to this vegetarian place we found which specializes in Vegan and veggie soul food. It was fantastic!!! Anywho, Paul looks at his Cell phone to see what time we were at, and sees he has a message. He was making this funny face, across between concerned, worried, then smiling. I was thinking what could have happened we just left Chicago 4 hours ago! He hung up, takes a drink of his water, I am about ready to come across the table wondering what was wrong. He says " We have tickets to the Letterman show, for Monday we have to call back and answer a trivia question." I was nearly peeing my pants in excitement!!!
Paul: "Should I call them back?"

Me: Duh!!!! Let's pay the bill and get outta here!!

Paul calls back and got voicemail, and left a message.

Paul: What should I do now?

Me: Call back in 10 minutes we can't miss this!!!

So Paul dials back and gets a live person on the line, Jaime was her name, we pull over to the side of the sidewalk as we thought best not get run down by the pedestrians, more dangerous than the cab drivers..

Paul to Jaimie: I have to answer a trivia question? Okay, No help from the wife. Okay,....

I was thinking dammit, I hope its easy...

Paul: Hello Deli!

He got it! The question was "what is the name of the place where Dave always goes, and Rupert works at", how weird is that!!



We had to rearrange all our travel times, cause we were coming back via Amtrak train on monday afternoon, but had to get the tickets by 2pm Monday, so we changed all that. It was like our own amazing race. We had to get from our hotel in Fairfield Connecticut at 6:30am to drive our rental car back to the desolate airport we picked it up at, then take a cab from there to the Trainstation, in Bridgeport Cont. From there be on Amtrack for an hour, get from Penn Station on New York back to Hannah's where we were staying, drop our stuff off, and get to the Ed Sullivan Theatre! Whew..some how we got there with time to spare!After standing in a bunch of lines, we finally started to head into the theatre, I wish they would let you take photos, it was amazing, the architecture inside, not to mention this was where The Beatles made their American debut, and Elvis was banned from television for gyrating his hips! lol...along with countless other people have played in there at one time!
Our seats where right above the Late Show Orchestra, in the balcony, rumors were flying that the guest was going to be Mike Myers who I absolutely love, not just cause he is Canadian. The warmup started and Dave himself came out to chat with the audience and tell a few jokes. He is a lot taller and skinnier than I ever would have thought! The set was super small, as well, but the whole thing was just fantastic. The show was so entertaining, and to interesting to watch it all unfold. Definatly a highlight of the trip for me!

2 comments:

Helen Wright said...

WOOHOO!!!! I was hanging on your every word!! I even jumped up & down a little in my seat when I read that you got the tickets!!!
Nice one!! So, who was on it?

Wait a sec, you're in Chicago... have you been to Oprah?!?

Totally agree about annoying republican freak blondie!!! Think about this... I am surrounded by 'hers'. No joke!!!

Love that you're doing comments!!!

Lost in Transition said...

Mike Myers was the guest, and a BMX Bike guy who broke a record in Central Park the week before. It was awesome!

Have never been able to get tickets to Oprah, which sucks since I live right in the city, I have tried many, many times. I have entered Contests, had my Mother in Law enter contests, nothing.