October 21, 2010

Talkin' turkey...

Right now I am sitting with a nice knitted blanket my mother in law knitted for us as Lola Kitty tries to make herself a fort under it next to my legs for warmth. Fall has arrived and it feels wonderful! I refuse to turn the heat on in the house, I just want to enjoy the cool breeze, and crisp air as much as I can. Candles are lit with the faint smell of pumpkin spice, which compliments the taste of my hazel nut coffee. Hopefully you are all nice and tucked in sitting back ready for a story or two.

Canuck-giving has passed for another year, and once again we held our traditional turkey dinner, and veggie "turkey" roast with all the trimmings. This year our guests included Paul's boss and his wife as well as their 13 year son; as well as another gentleman Paul works closely with. It was really nice. I have to say it was really touching having them come to help us celebrate our little tradition and made our tiny house feel more like a home. Molson Canadian was passed around, so were stories of the Motherland as Paul's boss and his wife are both Canadian, and so is their son. So it makes that much more special for us to have people who appreciate a touch of home. I had to work that morning and was going to be home in the mid-afternoon so I asked Paul to bathe the turkey for me and I would take care of it when I got home. Now this is a huge challenge for Paul. He is a vegetarian and has been for 15 years now. There has only been one other time he handled raw meat and that was once he made me my families 'Chicken burger" recipe and I was impressed then. I got home and the bird was bathed, dressed and in the oven! I couldn't believe it! He wouldn't even let me baste it, nope that was his baby, he had it timed when to baste it and had gone on line to find out what else he had to do. I love this man. The turkey turned out beautifully moist, and delicious! He also made his veggie roast which was also a hit. If you have a vegetarian at your next big dinner or just want to try something different I highly recommend this product called Quorn. You can find it at most health food stores or these days in the organic specialty isle. Add some poultry seasoning and other spices, bake, throw on some gravy and you really can't tell the difference much, it has a meaty texture, and look. They make tons of other products we really enjoy too.

In other news I finally grew a backbone and drew a line in the sand with work and with life really. I realized my fear of conflict has been causing me to have issues and thought it is about time I stand up for myself and I finally have. I figure I am about to embark on a new year (My birthday) and now is the time to make some changes. So that was my first one, I won't lie to you it is tough. You would think standing up for what you feel is right would be easy. On the contrary, it makes you question how much you really believe, and are you willing to face potential consequences. Have no fear it wasn't quite that dramatic, however in the amphitheatre of my head it was.

As much as we hate to admit it the holidays are fast approaching and in our quest to be Auntie and Uncle of the year for the 6th time running. We start our holiday list, shopping, planning early. See we don't like to get in there and scrap with parents for the hottest toys or flashiest game. Noooo..we like to go for the really obscure, usually educational and fun stuff. Believe it or not the kids love it! Cause if they didn't they are at the age where they would pretty much tell you. So today I found myself walking into Borders, in search for a certain gift Paul found that he thought would be perfect for Jake his 9 year old nephew. Now Jake is super smart, brilliant really, way to advanced for his age, and likes science experiments and blow stuff up and LOVES to read. So Uncle Paul found this gift he felt we just had to get for Jake. Of course we found it on line but the shipping was outrageous so we thought start with Borders and go from there. I scanned every inch of the store looking for this item, and even used their little kiosk computer which wasn't finding what I wanted. I am like a man that way, when I am in a store I refuse to ask for directions. I want to find it on my own, it doesn't matter I may pass the same stack of books or rack of toys 15 times, I will keep going until I find it or get frustrated and breakdown to ask. After getting on my hands and knees and studying every book binding I finally decided it was time to ask. All I kept thinking was "They are going to think I am nuts! When I tell them what I am looking for, and then throw me out the shop!" Again always drama in the amphitheatre of my mind. Like Days of our lives all the time..lol.

I find a younger guy, he looks approachable.
Me:"Hi, um I was wondering if you might be able to help me find something"

clerk:"Sure"

Me: I am looking for an Owl Vomit Kit?

Yes folks you read that correctly, an Owl Vomit Kit. It is a kit where you get real Owl vomit (dried and sterilized) and the child dissects it and finds the bones of what that owl ate and put it together. I know, I can imagine your face right now. I know what you are thinking "Why in the heck you would you want this? What will his parents think?

Oh don't worry they are on board with this, we always run things by them before hand. My brother-in-law's wife, I love her. She is your classic all American girl. Beautiful sort of looks like a young Jennifer Aniston, and was a sorority girl and cheerleader back in the day. But don't be fooled she is a farm girl at heart, and a great Mom to her kids. I say that because this past summer the kids found a coyote skull that they wanted to keep. What did she do? Well she boiled that skull in her kitchen! LOL!! I am totally serious! I guess it smelt pretty bad she had to leave it out in the barn but still I can't say I would have been so brave. So when we told her we thought about getting Jake this Owl Vomit Kit, she was A-okay with it. LOL! I love my in-laws seriously.

Lucky for me the guy knew exactly what I was talking about and took me to where he thought they should be. Sadly they are not on the shelf right now but he did tell me to come back in a week or so and check again. That he knew for sure they had them and they are just rearranging stuff for the holidays right now. But in case that doesn't work out I got tons of other ideas as a back up.

You may recall from a previous post,http://redheadedstepsister.blogspot.com/2010/06/little-on-lighter-side.html when Paul and I were at the American Library Association Conference this past June I almost went fist to cuffs with a lady about a children's book for my nephew Quintin, (my brothers 4 year old son). It had yet to be released and they only had one copy for sale and I was waiting all day to purchase it, and this woman over heard me asking for it and swooped in and took it from under me.  Anywho, I finally found a copy of it today! I was reading through it while I waited in line for my latte just giggling away to myself. It really is a cute book and the illustrations are great.

EVEN MONSTERS NEED HAIRCUTS By Matthew McElligott
Speaking of haircuts, I finally bit the bullet and got my hair chopped off. It had been nearly 11 months since I  had it cut last. There is a new salon that opened up at the bottom of the hill from us, so I thought one day I would go scope it out and just get my eye brows done. That was when I met Teddi. Teddi just moved here from Missouri the week before we moved here. She and her boyfriend had been doing long distance for 2 years and finally he was posted here (marine) and she said "Well why not try being in the same place for a bit!" Girl after my own heart. We hit it off, and I took her card and told her I would call her soon to book my haircut.

It took me a month to get the courage up to cut the hair. I walked in and it was like you could here the tumble weed music playing in the background. Getting ready for the showdown between my rats nest hair and Teddi. I looked at her my hair pulled back tight to hide just how large and in charge it was, and said "Are you ready for this?", she looks at me and says " Bring it on!" Next thing I know I am in the chair getting my hair washed and having an anxiety attack, and before I could change my mind she went (Snip) and just like that seven inches of my curls were gone. She worked her magic and then there was a gasp through out the salon. All eyes were on us. The lady in the chair next to me says "Wasn't her hair really long when she came in?", Teddi all proud said "Yup! We decided we are going short and funky!", and I love it!!!!! She did a fantastic job. As part of the new year, new me thing I decided I wouldn't colour it, that I would see what nature had done to me, and sure there are a few wiry white hairs, but I am okay with that. For now at least, if they start multiplying at a quick rate I may have to change that. When do you consider it to be a "New Year" for you? Do you go by your birthday or the calendar year? Thanks for checking in!

No comments: