March 31, 2008

A case of the Mondays

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up and you just know it's gonna be a long day? Today was a lot like that for me. I tried to change the outcome by struggling to think positive about the day that maybe, just maybe it wasn't going to be as bad as I thought. 

Normally this can be very effective for me, not today though. It started with me taking the bus, normally I take the El to work, however they have closed the stop closest to my work to do construction on it for the next 12 months. The bus stop is less than a block away really, and I am half way there and there goes my bus..yup. It was pissing rain and windy today in the Windy City, and there I was waiting for the bus this time it was too late to for me to try and catch the EL so I was stuck waiting. Finally it arrives, as I was certain I was going to be late but made it with 10 minutes to spare! Now I am thinking things are looking up! 

Not so fast, I get in there and I take my coat off and the Manager tells me someone has called in sick. I am already short for the day and this doesn't help. That's okay I will make it work I say. Still keeping optimistic. At 7:35am this is not an easy task. I get out on the floor, and run into my department manager who tells me we are having trouble with some of the registers and to make sure no one touches certain connections as it will fry the machine. No worries there! I can handle this. We open all it going well. Then I take the second customer of the day and BAM! I got 3 count them 1-2-3! Registers dead!!!!! That is right!!! Nothing I can do, no one has a clue what is wrong. Someone tells me to re boot, I say not likely! If that son of a bitch frys it's gonna be my ass!!! No thanks!!! Then it just went down hill from there.  My day that is. At one point I walked out into the parking lot and thought, "I could really just keep going" I am totally serious, I thought "I don't need this b.s.,I am just a supervisor, not and IT person, or a manager, a SUPERvisor,!" I actually think I might have said this out loud at this point, I was so furious! It wasn't that fact that the sky was falling in technoland there were other factors compounding the situation at this point. Then my rational brain kicked in and said, you need to do something, you cannot just keep walking. So I went up and talked to my manager and said I cannot work like this! Something has to be done!!! No body puts Baby in a corner!!!! Okay I didn't say that last bit, but I did tell then I couldn't work like this. Truth be told the managers had no idea what to do either, they were hoping I would just figure it out for them. Finally all was sorted out in the end, but I was still pretty worked up all day. 

In the meantime, Paul and I have been working in getting his resume done and making sure he gets his assistantships and trying to find a place to live in Champaign. We had applied to this one company and they were pending credit checks just to see the damn place! So that was weighing my mind. Finally the end of my rolls around, there I am waiting for the bus again in the rain and wind, my umbrella flipping inside out, my still cursing under my breath. I hop on the bus cruising up the street heading home, and there was this lady crossing the street and her umbrella flips inside out and you could read her lips as the bus was going by, and I just start laughing.  I am sure everyone thought I was as nutty as the guy in the front of the bus, I couldn't help but find solace in the fact that someone else was having a case of the Mondays!

I get home and called Ashley our lovely contact for Champaign Apartments, and she told us we were approved and we are going next Monday..lol to check our potential new places!! Whoo hoo!! That was a huge relief! So to celebrate, and get over my case of the Mondays I am having a lovely glass of Merlot, thinking about making dinner before my husband gets home, and dancing around my livingroom with my Lola kitty. There goes another manic monday!!!