September 14, 2009

Part Two-Taking Care of Business

I am still finding myself excited and talking about our trip to Memphis. So I thought for the benefit of my family and friends without facebook, I would share the rest of our crazy adventure.

After touring Sun Studios we hung out in the soda shop/lobby and drank real Coke Classic out of the itty bitty Coke Bottles, and watched as everyone walked by sweating and dripping from the humidity.(Paul singing into the mic Elvis used)(Standing on the "X" that Elvis stood) Next thing we know our shuttle arrived to pick us up. The driver was very entertaining, come to find out he just started this shuttle business in the last few months. He had a flat screen panel tv installed and played "Elvis Live from Memphis" on it, and would instruct you to clap in the appropriate places. Part way through he turned it off as we were going through downtown Memphis to pick up some other passengers. He was giving us tip and tricks as to how to get what you want out of Memphis without loosing your shirt. He was hilarious, making such recommendations of you can go down to Beale street and pay anywhere from $3 to $10 for a beer, when you could just swing by the BP Gas Station and buy a tall boy for a $1.75. Suggesting that you go for a nice dinner downtown then head to the roof top of the Peabody which is free, and watch the sunset. I love this stuff! Cause if I was a tour guide I would totally be like that as well. Finally we got dropped back off at Graceland where are car was, and walked around a few smaller Elvis Exhibits until we were completely saturated in Elvis, and couldn't take much more. We headed to the Kroger grocery store to pick up a few things for the camp, and along the road kept and eye out for a nice restaurant. Well pretty much the whole road was fried chicken, ribs, and fish. I was down with the chicken but it wasn't really conducive to Paul's vegetarianism. We were going to check out a few Vegetarian Soul Food places but found ourselves exhausted from the heat and all day of "in your face tourist" stuff, we headed back to camp.

Even though it was hotter than hell out, we were completely decked out in full length everything. Trying to avoid the persist ant mosquito's. Finally we gave up, decided to hit the showers and head to bed early again. But not before we busted out the cell phone calling hotels we could find on the GPS for a place on Sunday. No such luck they were all booked. Mosquito's were flying in your eyes,ears nose, it was nasty. So I headed to the ladies room which didn't have a stall door that worked at all. So I wedged the door just so. Turn around to check the shower stall and it was disgusting. Loaded with mosquito's, and dirt. All I kept thinking was how am I going to get undressed, shower and get out before I am eaten alive. It was the fastest shower I have ever taken! I am sure I would have made Green Peace very happy with the water I conserved. I am scratching just thinking about it all.

Sunday morning we decided to take it easy this day. Paul made an awesome breakfast of veggie sausage and pancakes, with orange juice, better than any other continental breakfast. We got all cleaned up and Paul found an ad for the Bass Pro Shop. I had an idea what it was, but he was ridiculously excited about finding it. So we decided that would be destination number 1 for the day. Paul's friend Heather from school who lives up the street from us was cat sitting while we were gone. She had a kitty of her own with very particular taste in food. She will only eat Whole Foods Brand food, well the closest one to Champaign is Chicago which is 3 hours away. Well we managed to find one in Memphis so that was destination #2. Yes, indeed Whole Foods Memphis was an attraction on our trip. We are becoming more and more urban hippie everyday. Of course I worked at one for over a year, it has become a beacon really, like the Golden Arches for some, the Organic Golden Delicious is to us.

From there we headed off the beaten path to Soulsville USA, STAX Records. This is where Ottis Redding recorded, Issac Hayes, Tina and Ike Turner, just to name a few. It was once and Old movie theatre that was converted into a music store and then later a major recording studio. Until tragic events occurred and things took a turn for the worst. After the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. happened not far from where the museum was, the riots started outside the doors. Shortly there after Ottis Redding dies in a plane crash. People were at at loss. That was the beginning of the end for Stax. You don't find this historical place in this opulent neighborhood, far from it. It was surrounded by shacks, condemned houses, baptists churches, you could feel the energy, though, this place has a story to tell, and we wanted to hear it. It's a shame really cause a few of the people we asked about its location an they would tell us, that is wasn't the greatest neighborhood, that you shouldn't walk around there. Make sure there is nothing left in your car. That sort of thing. We weren't scared, we came to experience ALL of Memphis. It was really cool, they went to the roots of soul, and brought you up to the hear and now. Very moving, and what other museum have you been in where there is a dance floor in the middle of the exhibit so you can break our and do your own Soul Train!!! I won't lie I was having a hard time keeping back, mostly I didn't want to make a fool of myself. What is even cooler is part of the building is used now to teach music to some of inner city kids.

All in all we had a very culturally rich vacation. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. The food was great. If you ever get a chance to experience this you should for sure.

No comments: